- Brain Donation. We promote and facilitate brain donation for most neurological disorders and healthy “controls.” At present, post-mortem brain tissue analysis is the *only* way to confirm a diagnosis of Lewy body dementia (LBD), Parkinson’s Disease (PD), Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD), Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), vascular dementia, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), and Corticobasal Degeneration (CBD).
Brain Support Network has helped over 800 families accomplish brain donation in the US. Of these families, *half* received a confirmed diagnosis that was different than the clinical diagnosis.
- We manage a local support group that focuses on the four atypical parkinsonian disorders (LBD, PSP, MSA, and CBD). We hold support group meetings for caregivers in Northern California, convening nine times per year in San Mateo, California.
- We track the research on the atypical parkinsonian disorders and maintain a website that refers to the best resources that we’ve found for caregivers. Our Facebook page posts lots of research on Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, Frontotemporal Dementia, and the atypical parkinsonian disorders. Plus we share worthwhile articles on caregiving for neurological disorders.
California HOPE (CalHOPE), a program run by the California Department of Health Care Services, delivers crisis support for communities impacted by a national disaster, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. CalHOPE builds community resiliency and helps people recover from disasters through free outreach, crisis counseling, and support services. For California residents, CalHOPE offers a call-line — (833) 317-HOPE (4673) — to talk about your struggles and get emotional support from someone who has persevered through tough situations.
Donating long-term appreciated securities to BSN benefits families affected by neurological disorders and potentially you as well! Gifts of long-term appreciated securities may have tax advantages that could maximize your gift and reduce your taxes.
Potential benefits of donating stock may include:
- Reducing federal and state tax on the capital gain;
- Receiving an income tax deduction (federal and most states) for the full-market value of the gift if you itemize deductions on your tax return and have held the assets one year or longer;
- Making a larger gift at a lower original cost to you.
Prefer to make a traditional contribution via credit card? Click here to donate.