Here’s a list of guest speakers at many Northern California and Central California Parkinson’s Disease (PD) support group meetings for August 2017.
With my Brain Support Network atypical parkinsonism (DLB, PSP, MSA, CBD) hat on, these meetings are especially appealing to me (because of the guest speakers or topics) BUT remember that these are PD support group meetings:
* Visalia, Friday, 8/4 – Movement disorder specialist Jeri Williams, MD, will be speaking about psychosis (hallucinations and delusions) in Parkinson’s Disease. This talk certainly applies to Lewy Body Dementia. Note that this talk is sponsored by a pharmaceutical company.
* Palo Alto/Avenidas, Wednesday, 8/9 – A great speaker from Home Instead Senior Care will be addressing senior care options, hiring in-home aides, and best practices at home (protecting yourself and your belongings). There is nothing Parkinson’s-specific about this talk. And it’s not a sales pitch.
* Santa Rosa, Saturday, 8/12 – Movement disorder specialist Maya Katz, MD, will focus on hospitalization and drug interactions.
* Yuba City, Monday, 8/14 – A speech therapist will speak about communication and swallowing issues in PD
* Auburn, Tuesday, 8/15 – A clinical psychologist will be addressing sleep issues and insomnia management in PD
* Walnut Creek, Saturday, 8/19 – A panel talks about medical marijuana and PD. Certainly this talk applies to our community.
* Fremont, Monday, 8/28 – A physical therapist discusses physical therapy for PD
Generally, I recommend driving no more than 30 minutes to attend any of these meetings. If you attend a meeting and learn anything, please share with me so that I can share with others!
Do you need to know the support group meeting location, day/time, contact info, and how to RSVP if required? Please refer to the Stanford Parkinson’s website for all Northern and Central California support groups:
As always, I’ve deleted the deep brain stimulation-related talks.
Tuesday, 8/1, 1:30-3pm
Discussion Topic: What special attention is needed by those with PD while traveling to/from holiday vacations and events
San Jose/Willow Glen
Friday, 8/4, 10am-noon (speaker starts about 10:20am)
Guest Speaker: Laurice Yang, MD, movement disorder specialist, Stanford Neurology
Topic: Updates in PD treatment
Friday, 8/4, 10:30am-noon
Guest Speaker: Jeri Williams, MD, movement disorder specialist, private practice, Bakersfield
Topic: Treating psychosis in PD
Tuesday, 8/8, 2-4pm
Guest Speaker: Betsy Koznin, RN
RSVP?: Yes to group leaders Linda Feist, 661-304-9227, or Bill Burgemaster, 661-343-2707
Pacific Grove (Monterey County)
Tuesday, 8/8, 3-4:30pm
Guest Speaker: Henry Marquez
Topic: ADA compliant model
Palo Alto Young Onset Parkinson’s
Tuesday, 8/8, 6:30-8pm
Guest Speaker: Katie Parafinczuk, DPT, physical therapist, Kaiser Redwood City, and PD exercise instructor
Topic: Parkinson’s exercise
RSVP?: Yes, if this is your first time attending. Please RSVSP to Martha Gardner, group leader, [email protected], by August 7th.
Wednesday, 8/9, 2-3:30pm
Main Speaker: Nikki Hochhauser, Home Instead Senior Care, Peninsula
Topics: Senior care options, hiring in-home aides, and best practices at home (protecting yourself and your belongings)
Thursday, 8/10, 10-11am
Guest Speaker: Colleen Fisher, National Parkinson Foundation, Bay Area
Topic: Community programs and resources
Thursday, 8/10, 1:30-3pm
Discussion Topics: How are your medications working for you? What do you need to tell the doctor?
Los Altos Young Parkinson’s
Saturday, 8/12, 10am-noon
Guest Speaker: Aura Oslapas
Topic: Application under development for those with PD
Santa Rosa (Sonoma County)
Saturday, 8/12, 1-3:15pm (speaker from 1-2pm)
Guest Speaker: Maya Katz, MD, movement disorder specialist, UCSF and San Francisco VA
Topics: Hospitalization and drug interactions
Yuba City (Tri-Counties)
Monday, 8/14, 1-2pm
Guest Speaker: Amber Smith, SLP, speech therapist, Fountains Skilled Nursing Facility
Topic: Communication and swallowing issues in PD
Monday, 8/14, noon-1:30pm
Program: Panel of group members discussing various stages of PD
Tuesday, 8/15, 10-11am
Guest Speaker: Tuan Nguyen, pharmacist, Lincoln Pharmacy
Topics: Medications and interactions for those with PD
Tuesday, 8/15, 1:30-3pm
Guest Speaker: Eric Egli, PhD, clinical psychologist, Roseville
Topics: Sleep issues and insomnia management in PD
Friday, 8/18, 1:30-3:30pm
Discussion Topic: Importance of water in PD
Walnut Creek (Mt. Diablo)
Saturday, 8/19, 9am-noon (panel 10:45am-11:45am)
Panelists: Eloise Theisen, RN, founder, Green Health Consultants, and Rebecca and Tim Byers, co-founders, Agathist Collective
Topic: Medical marijuana and PD
Monday, 8/28, 7-9:30pm
Guest Speaker: Priti Chitale, PT, physical therapist, Kaiser San Leandro
Topic: Physical therapy for PD