Here’s a list of guest speakers at many Northern California and Central California Parkinson’s Disease (PD) support group meetings for July 2017.
With my Brain Support Network atypical parkinsonism (DLB, PSP, MSA, CBD) hat on, these meetings are especially appealing to me (because of the guest speakers or topics) BUT remember that these are PD support group meetings:
* Lodi, Monday, 7/3: a neurologist is speaking on Parkinson’s and essential tremor. I know nothing about this neurologist but it seems to be a unique opportunity to hear a neurologist speak in Lodi.
* Soquel, Wednesday, 7/5: physical therapist addresses practical solutions to daily challenges
* Yuba City, Monday, 7/10: social worker talks about the importance of sleep for caregivers. Hopefully everyone in this area knows about the Del Oro Caregiver Resource Center. If not, please attend the talk just to learn about their services.
* Bakersfield, Tuesday, 7/11: fitness instructor demonstrating exercises and yoga
* Turlock, Wednesday, 7/12: social worker describes coping skills for dealing with Parkinson’s (for both those with a diagnosis and caregivers). Certainly many of these coping skills will be applicable to those in Brain Support Network.
* Palo Alto/Avenidas, Wednesday, 7/12: a palliative care social worker and hospice nurse will be addressing palliative care and hospice at home for those with neurological disorders (not just Parkinson’s). Many in the Brain Support Network group apply for palliative care. Come learn about what this is!
* Walnut Creek, Saturday, 7/15: movement disorder specialist Salima Brillman, MD, will be talking about the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson’s. She is very familiar with the disorders in our group.
* Sacramento/Arden Arcade, Thursday, 7/20: an excellent physical therapist addresses physical therapy for PD. She may be familiar with the disorders in our group.
Generally, I recommend driving no more than 30 minutes to attend any of these meetings. If you attend a meeting and learn anything, please share with me so that I can share with others!
Do you need to know the support group meeting location, day/time, contact info, and how to RSVP if required? Please refer to the Stanford Parkinson’s website for all Northern and Central California support groups:
As always, I’ve deleted the deep brain stimulation-related talks.
Monday, 7/3, 10-11am
Guest Speaker: Mohammad Kazmi, MD, neurologist, Lodi
Memorial Hospital, Lodi
Topic: Parkinson’s Disease and Essential Tremor
Soquel (Santa Cruz County)
Wednesday, 7/5, 1-2:30pm
Guest Speaker: Ruby Straehley, PT, physical therapist
Topic: Practical solutions to everyday challenges facing those with Parkinson’s
Yuba City (Tri-Counties)
Monday, 7/10, 1-2pm
Guest Speaker: Dorene Fanning, LCSW, family consultant, Del Oro
Caregiver Resource Center
Topic: Insights into challenges and the importance of sleep for caregivers
Tuesday, 7/11, 2-4pm
Guest Speaker: Deb McCormack, Bakersfield Mind & Body Studio
Topic: Exercises and yoga for PD
RSVP?: Yes to group leaders Linda Feist, 661-304-9227, or Bill
Pacific Grove (Monterey County)
Tuesday, 7/11, 3-4:30pm
Program: Discussion groups – people with Parkinson’s and care partners
Davis – regular and caregivers groups together
Wednesday, 7/12, 12:45-2:15pm (special day/time for July)
Guest Speaker: Marg Bartosek
Topic: Experiential presentation of Feldenkrais awareness through movement
Wednesday, 7/12, 1-2pm
Guest Speaker: Nancy Neufled Silva, PhD, LCSW, counselor, Turlock
Topic: Coping skills in dealing with PD for patients and caregivers
Wednesday, 7/12, 2-3:30pm
Guest Speakers: Libby Hagman, RN, clinical outreach coordinator, and Anthony Lupian, MSW, Transitions program coordinator, Mission Hospice and Home Care, San Mateo
Topic: Palliative care, hospice at home, and hospice house for Parkinson’s – recommended services and what’s new
Thursday, 7/13, 10-11am
Guest Speaker: Margot Schaal, certified Feldenkrais practitioner
Walnut Creek (Mt. Diablo)
Saturday, 7/15, 9am-noon (speaker 10:45am-11:45am)
Guest Speaker: Salima Brillman, MD, movement disorder specialist, The
Parkinson’s Institute, Sunnyvale
Topic: Diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson’s
Wednesday, 7/19, 10-11:30am
Guest Speaker: Christy Adams, RN, MPH, trauma prevention coordinator,
Topic: A matter of balance
Thursday, 7/20, 10am-noon
Guest Speaker: Lisa Clawson, LVN, HealthSouth Rehabilitation, Modesto
Topic: Rehab services for PD
Thursday, 7/20, 10am-noon
Guest Speaker: Christine Shade, DPT, physical therapist, Kaiser Roseville
Topic: Physical therapy and outdoor exercises for PD
Mill Valley (Marin County)
Friday, 7/28, 1-3pm (guest speaker 1-2pm)
Guest Speaker: James Nevin, Sr., attorney
Topic: Estate planning and end of life issues